Friday, October 2, 2009

No more baking...

Until I'm back in Brunei!! I just spent aaaages making Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes for a potluck dinner party tomorrow night. I was really excited about making these cupcakes because let's face it, who doesn't like orange creamsicle?!

Anyway, I was halfway through making the actual cupcake and realised that my fave cupcake blogger had said something about putting in the salt somewhere and some sugar somewhere else but didn't include salt and sugar in the ingredients so I didn't know how much to put in! I guessed that it was 1/4 tsp of salt but I really had no idea how much sugar to put in (I'm not creative, I just follow recipes) so there I was, in the middle of making the cupcakes, all my ingredients spread out on the bench and I was stuck, at a total roadblock. Then I had a brilliant idea! IHCuppycakes is always on Twitter (yes, I followed her because I'm obsessed) so I logged on and checked when her last tweet was.. 44 minutes ago!! There was a ray of hope and I tweeted to her pleadingly, asking her about the salt and sugar. I waited... and waited.. 20 minutes went past and I sighed in frustration, decided to just put 1/2 a cup of sugar in and leave it at that. After mixing that in, I refreshed my Twitter page and lo and behold, a reply from her!!! She advised me on the correct amount (1 cup sugar, the salt was correct yahoo!) so I thanked her profusely and added another 1/2 cup of sugar. That went in the oven and then I had 2 other parts to make - the orange buttercream and the marshmallow filling.

I made the orange buttercream without any drama but halfway through making the marshmallow filling (the marshmallow fluff part I had to make from scratch because Brisbane doesn't SELL it - go figure), I realised that I needed a measly 1 cup of icing sugar!! Aaaargh!! Jumped on the scooter, zipped up the road to the convenience store (so convenient haha) and got it and made the filling which turned out to be 10 times more than I actually needed. It's now sitting in a bowl in the fridge, I guess I could use it to make homemade fluffer nutter sandwiches soon :) 

After the cupcakes had cooled down, I had to cut out little wells in each cupcake to fill with the marshmallow filling. That caused a crick in my neck, I can tell you! I also stupidly made 24 mini cupcakes and had to make tiny wells for them and they were oh so hard to fill! THEN I had to pipe on the buttercream icing. But I stuck it out and now I have beautiful cupcakes to bring over to A&G's tomorrow.





That being said, this will be the last baking distraction I will go through for the next 6 weeks because I should SOOOOO be studying for my upcoming finals!!! I promise not to bake a single thing until I'm back in Brunei. You heard it here. Peace out.




No comments:

Post a Comment