Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baking - 3, Studying - 0

I just couldn't help myself when I saw that Clara on http://www.iheartcuppycakes.com/ had posted up a new cupcake recipe - eek! I have been traversing her site (and others) daily just as a way of procrastinating and just yesterday I said to T that no one had posted up any new cupcake recipes in aeons!! And to that he wisely said "There'll be something sooner or later, it all comes and goes in waves doesn't it?" to which I glumly nodded my head. And then this morning, ta-daa!! A post on Angel Food Cupcakes!! The only problem was.. I had no strawberries left :(

When T went out to run some errands for work, I asked him to get me a punnet of strawberries if he came across any (highly unlikely, of course) and then later on, I saw Y online and because I knew she was coming over to pick something up, I tried my luck to see if she had any strawberries lying around that she didn't want. Sadly, she said she didn't but a few minutes later, I got a glorious SMS from her saying that she'd bought me some on the way over to my place!! Woo-hoo!! Bless her little heart, within 15 minutes I had my strawberries! (T got back a few minutes before Y got here and of course, HE didn't get me any strawberries, hmpf!) J/k! :)

So I made the cupcakes with much zest and zelousness, partly because I had an excuse not to study and partly because these cupcakes sounded VERY promising indeed! In total, I used 8 egg whites and my right arm ached from all the beating I had to do with my handheld beater but the cupcakes turned out very pretty (they were all puffy when I first took them out of the oven but upon standing, shrunk considerably!!). However, the strawberry swiss meringue buttercream frosting turned out to be runny so I couldn't pipe them onto the cupcakes! I tried putting the bowl of frosting in the fridge so it would harden up but in the end I just couldn't wait anymore and spooned a dollop onto each cupcake.




Lemon Angel Food Cupcakes with Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting

Now I have 8 egg yolks left over and I gave T the choice of me making creme brulee or a chocolate tart tomorrow and you know what he said? "QUICHE!!" Haha.. He eventually settled on the chocolate tart so we will be shopping for some ingredients for that as well as ingredients for the quiche and salad that I will make tomorrow.

You can see the numerous ways that I have been procrastinating and wasting my time NOT studying the last few days - multiple blog entries a day, baking, planning for baking the next time and also.. I've been dreaming about getting a GREAT standing mixer. All of the bakers whose blogs I follow seem to be using Kitchenaid so I googled it and because it's Breast Cancer Awareness month, they've got a special PINK one!!!! Of course, it costs like AUD$800 but a girl can dream right?



Sigh.. love love love it *stares off in space dreamily* Oh, I also need a huge-ass food processor for making the pastry for the quiches! More dreaming.. until next time everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment