Saturday, May 14, 2011

I'm back

Okay.. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I've neglected this blog for over a year and a half. I feel terrible, not because I've disappointed people who read the blog (I can probably count them on one hand) but because of ALL the restaurants that I've been to since then and now that I haven't shared with you and because of AAALLLLLL the things that I've made that I haven't been able to post about. Where do I start? 


First of all, I am no longer the dumbest person in med school - haha.. I quit!!! It was at the end of 2009 and for once, I was brutally honest with myself and asked myself if I really wanted to do this for the rest of my life. The answer was no. Half the people I knew supported my crazy decision to leave med and the other half thought I was stupid and crazy. Anyway, I did it.. and in order to stay in Australia, I had to be a student but what would I study?? I decided to do a Certificate III in Patisserie and I.. LOVED IT!!! It was so different to when I was doing med when I would wake up in the morning and dread the looong day and the constant wondering if I would be able to get away with skipping a clinical skills session/lecture/PBL.. I actually jumped out of bed in the morning, excited to learn how to make this and that! 


The year passed by all to quickly in a blur of full-time studying and three jobs (waitressing, data entry and making cupcakes at Cafe Baroque).. I was busy and flat out ALL the time and got cranky a lot with T (poor guy).. I was loving the course and I was also baking heaps in the little spare time that I had but I also had to work really hard to save up and pay for the course.. Needless to say, I was a very angry girl in 2010. We ate out quite a lot because both of us were so busy with work and whatnot. Unfortunately I had absolutely no time whatsoever to sit down and blog about the places we ate it. I tried to.. about five times and after two sentences, I just thought "What am I DOING?! I need to go to bed, like NOW!!". Sooo.. a post never eventuated.


It was really sad to say goodbye to the friends that I made while studying Patisserie and also the three chefs who taught us throughout the year. They were so wonderful and really made it fun. I went home to Brunei as I usually do at the end of every year and the plan was for me to continue working casually at my day job and also do some work experience at a Patisserie to learn the ropes and the ins and outs of running one so that I could eventually use that experience to open my own :)


After three months away, I came home and T surprised me by saying that he really liked it when I was home, that he would provide for me and that he would get me a car so that I wouldn't have to work. So right now, I am quite the housewife (something I said that I would NEVER be). I do all the grocery shopping, make most of the meals, bake whenever I want and I am very happy. I have tried looking into starting a home business with my baking but found out that because we live in a townhouse and not a stand alone house, I will need to put in an application for it to be considered - which will cost AUD$2000. Plus, I will need to notify the public about my intentions ie. write to all my neighbours and announce it in the paper. Soo.. that idea is on hold at the moment. I will look into selling my cakes at the markets and will see if that is a more viable option for now.


As an attempt to make up for my previous absence, I will post something EVERYDAY from tomorrow onwards.. I will go back to the photos that I have saved of food from the restaurants that we went to last year and this and try to give a brief review.. Obviously I won't remember exactly what we had but I will remember the experience and rate accordingly. Also, I have baked many, many, many things in the last year and a half and if I can, I might share those with you too. So, that's it now.. it's official.. I'm back.



No comments:

Post a Comment